5 Easy DIY 80s Costumes That Will Take You Back in Time
The 80s were a decade known for its bold fashion choices and iconic style. From neon colors to wild patterns, this era embraced all things quirky and energetic. If you’re looking to channel your inner 80s nostalgia, we’ve got you covered with 5 easy DIY 80s costumes that will take you back in time.
1. Material Girl Madonna: To recreate Madonna’s iconic 80s look, start with a lacy black bustier or a brightly colored crop top. Pair it with a tulle or ruffled mini skirt, fishnet stockings, and high-heeled pumps. Adorn your wrists with multiple rubber bracelets and layer on chunky necklaces. Top it off with a large bow headband and bright red lipstick.
2. Valley Girl: Emulate the quintessential Valley Girl style of the 80s with a preppy twist. Start with a plaid, button-up shirt layered over a pastel-colored sweater and rolled-up denim jeans. Complete the look with white sneakers or penny loafers, and don’t forget the side-ponytail and scrunchie.
3. Punk Rocker: Channel your inner rebel with a punk rocker 80s costume. This DIY look calls for ripped black jeans, a band t-shirt or leather jacket, and chunky combat boots. Accessorize with plenty of studs, safety pins, and spiked bracelets. Finish off the outfit with smudged black eyeliner and a colorful mohawk or spiky wig.
4. Flashdance Inspired: Recreate Jennifer Beals’ dancewear-inspired style from the movie Flashdance with ease. Begin with an oversized off-the-shoulder sweatshirt, paired with leg warmers and high-cut shorts or a mini skirt. Add some classic 80s white sneakers and tie your sweatshirt at the waist for an extra touch of vintage flair. Don’t forget to sweatband and scrunchie combo for your hair!
5. Miami Vice: Get ready to embrace the sleek and cool Miami Vice style. This costume requires a light-colored suit – either white or pastel shades – paired with a colorful shirt underneath. Roll up the sleeves and add a thin belt for a polished look. Don’t forget to complete the outfit with a pair of aviator sunglasses and loafers.
Now that you have some 80s costume inspiration, it’s time to dive into our list of 20 questions and answers that will test your knowledge about this radical decade!
1. What popular arcade game was released in 1980?
2. Who was the lead singer of the band Queen?
– Freddie Mercury
3. Which movie featured Michael J. Fox traveling back in time in a DeLorean?
– Back to the Future
4. What was the name of the popular kids’ series that featured various robots transforming into vehicles and other objects?
5. Who was the king of pop during the 80s?
– Michael Jackson
6. What popular toy was introduced in 1983 and had a catchy theme song?
– My Little Pony
7. Who played the character E.T. in the movie “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial”?
– There was no actor physically playing E.T.; it was portrayed through animatronics and puppetry.
8. Which 80s pop icon famously wore a red “Choose Life” t-shirt?
– George Michael
9. What style of music emerged in the 80s, known for its synthesizers and electronic sounds?
– New Wave
10. Who wrote the novel “1984” which became highly influential during the 80s?
– George Orwell
11. Which British prime minister served throughout most of the 1980s?
– Margaret Thatcher
12. What fashion style became popular thanks to the TV show Dynasty?
– Shoulder pads
13. What American television series featured the lives of four women living in New York City during the 80s?
– The Golden Girls
14. What popular children’s toy became a phenomenon, featuring bright, colorful dolls that sported different hairstyles?
– Cabbage Patch Kids
15. What was the name of the iconic dance move created by Michael Jackson?
– The Moonwalk
16. Who was the first female Prime Minister of the United Kingdom?
– Margaret Thatcher
17. What major historical event occurred in Berlin in 1989?
– The fall of the Berlin Wall
18. What technology first emerged in the 80s, revolutionizing the way people listened to music?
– Compact Disc (CD)
19. What was the name of the iconic home computer released by Apple in 1984?
20. Who starred as Rocky Balboa in the Rocky movie series?
– Sylvester Stallone
Now armed with costume ideas and some 80s trivia, you’ll be ready to throw the ultimate 80s-themed bash or rock your costume at any upcoming event. Let the vibrant colors, big hair, and amazing music transport you back in time to a decade that was truly one-of-a-kind.