Countdown to a Totally Tubular 80s Party: 9 Clothing Tips and Tricks
The decade of the 80s was known for its bold and vibrant fashion choices, making it the perfect theme for a party. Whether you’re attending an 80s-themed event or hosting your own Totally Tubular 80s Party, it’s essential to rock the right attire. To ensure you nail that iconic look, here are nine clothing tips and tricks to help you channel your inner 80s fashionista.
1. Flaunt the Neon:
When it comes to 80s fashion, neon colors were all the rage. Embrace the electric vibes by incorporating bright neon shades like fuchsia, lime green, and electric blue into your outfit. From leggings to accessories, there’s no such thing as too much neon in the 80s.
2. Leg Warmers Are a Must:
Nothing says 80s like leg warmers. These cozy and fashionable accessories were often seen paired with leggings or short skirts. Opt for leg warmers in vibrant colors or fun patterns to add that extra touch of retro style to your ensemble.
3. Layer It Up:
Layering was a defining feature of 80s fashion. Whether it was pairing a tank top with an oversized sweatshirt or wearing multiple colored shirts at once, the key was to stack those layers. Be creative with your layering choices and mix different patterns and textures to remain true to the 80s aesthetic.
4. Embrace the Denim:
Denim was a staple of 80s fashion, and you can incorporate it into your outfit in numerous ways. Pair acid-washed jeans with a tucked-in graphic tee or go for a denim jacket adorned with patches and pins to add an extra edge to your look.
5. Express Yourself with Graphics:
Graphic tees were everywhere in the 80s, often featuring band logos, quirky slogans, or neon geometric patterns. Wear a shirt that reflects your personality and be sure to accessorize with bold and colorful jewelry to complete the look.
6. Puff It Up:
Big and voluminous hairstyles were a defining characteristic of 80s fashion. Tease your hair and use plenty of hairspray to achieve those gravity-defying locks. Embrace the power of the perm or rock a side ponytail for an authentic 80s hairstyle.
7. Emphasize the Shoulder Pads:
The 80s were notorious for their exaggerated shoulder pads. Incorporate them into your outfit by choosing blazers or jackets with strong, structured shoulders. This will not only add a touch of 80s glam but also give you that iconic silhouette.
8. Accessorize Wisely:
Accessories played a crucial role in 80s fashion. Oversized sunglasses, hoop earrings, and jelly bracelets were all the rage. Don’t forget to layer on multiple chunky necklaces and add some fingerless gloves for that extra touch of 80s flair.
9. Don’t Forget the Sneakers:
When it comes to footwear, sneakers ruled the 80s fashion scene. Opt for a bright and bold pair of high-top sneakers to complete your look. Converse and Nike were popular choices back then, so lace-up your favorite pair and bring on the retro vibes.
Now that you’ve got your clothes sorted, it’s time to get ready for the 80s Party with some fun and nostalgic questions and answers!
1. Which famous pop singer released the hit song “Beat It” in 1983?
Answer: Michael Jackson.
2. In the movie “Back to the Future,” what year does Marty McFly travel to in the DeLorean?
3. Who was the lead guitarist of the band Guns N’ Roses?
4. Which iconic toy line was known for its colorful and scented characters?
Answer: Strawberry Shortcake.
5. Who was the frontman of the band Bon Jovi?
Answer: Jon Bon Jovi.
6. Which video game featuring a yellow eating character was released in 1980?
7. Which famous fashion doll was introduced by Mattel in 1986?
Answer: Barbie and the Rockers.
8. What robotic toy line became a cultural phenomenon in the 80s?
9. Which iconic band released the album “Purple Rain” in 1984?
Answer: Prince and The Revolution.
10. What was the name of the popular dance-based movie released in 1987 that starred Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze?
Answer: Dirty Dancing.
11. Who was the King of Pop?
Answer: Michael Jackson.
12. What video game console was released by Nintendo in 1985?
Answer: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).
13. Which popular TV show followed the lives of a group of high school kids in California?
Answer: Beverly Hills, 90210.
14. Who portrayed Indiana Jones in the movie series?
Answer: Harrison Ford.
15. What animated TV series featured four mutant turtles and their crime-fighting adventures?
Answer: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
16. Which iconic British band released the album “The Joshua Tree” in 1987?
17. What famous duo sang “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go”?
18. Who was the lead singer of the iconic band Queen?
Answer: Freddie Mercury.
19. In the TV show “Cheers,” what was the name of the bar where the characters gathered?
20. Who starred as Marty McFly in the “Back to the Future” trilogy?
Answer: Michael J. Fox.
With these clothing tips and a fun list of 80s-inspired questions and answers, you’re well on your way to hosting or attending a Totally Tubular 80s Party that will transport you back to the most iconic fashion decade. So put on your leg warmers, tease your hair, and get ready to party like it’s the 1980s!