Purple shampoo has become a holy grail product for many individuals who have dyed their hair blonde or have highlights. It acts as a toner to neutralize brassiness and unwanted yellow or orange undertones. If used correctly, purple shampoo can be an essential tool in maintaining cool-toned and vibrant blonde hair. In this article, we will guide you through Purple Shampoo 101: How to Properly Use and Maximize Its Benefits.
1. What is purple shampoo?
Purple shampoo is a toning shampoo that has a purple or violet hue. It is specifically designed to neutralize warm tones in blonde, highlighted, or gray hair.
2. How does purple shampoo work?
The science behind purple shampoo lies in color theory. The purple pigments in the shampoo create a color contrast with the yellow and orange undertones in the hair, neutralizing them and restoring a cooler tone.
3. When should I use purple shampoo?
It is recommended to use purple shampoo once a week or as needed, depending on how quickly your hair starts to show unwanted warmth.
4. How much purple shampoo should I use?
Start with a small amount, about the size of a quarter, and adjust as needed. You can always add more if necessary.
5. Should I wet my hair before applying purple shampoo?
Yes. Wet your hair thoroughly before applying purple shampoo. The water will help distribute the product evenly.
6. How long should I leave purple shampoo in my hair?
Leave the purple shampoo in your hair for 3-5 minutes. If your hair is extremely brassy, you can leave it in for a longer period, but be cautious not to over-tone.
7. Can I leave purple shampoo on overnight?
No. Leaving purple shampoo on overnight can cause your hair to become overly toned, resulting in a purple or gray cast. It’s always best to follow the recommended time frame.
8. Should I condition my hair after using purple shampoo?
Yes. After rinsing out the purple shampoo, use a conditioner to hydrate and nourish your hair, as purple shampoo can be drying.
9. Can I use purple shampoo on non-blonde hair?
Purple shampoo is specifically formulated for blonde, highlighted, or gray hair. Using it on darker hair may result in an unwanted purple tint.
10. Can I use purple shampoo on natural gray hair?
Absolutely! Purple shampoo can be used on natural gray hair to eliminate any yellow or brassy tones and enhance the coolness of your gray locks.
11. How often should I use purple shampoo if I have gray hair?
If you have gray hair, you can use purple shampoo once every two weeks or as needed to maintain a desired tone.
12. Can I mix purple shampoo with regular shampoo?
Although it may dilute the toning effect, you can mix purple shampoo with regular shampoo to make it milder if you find it too intense.
13. Should I use purple shampoo with cold or warm water?
Rinse your hair with lukewarm or slightly cool water. Hot water can strip away the toning effect of the shampoo.
14. Can I use purple shampoo on color-treated hair?
Yes, purple shampoo can be used on color-treated hair. However, be cautious not to exceed the recommended time, as it can potentially affect the color longevity.
15. How long does it take to see results with purple shampoo?
Results may vary depending on the individual’s hair condition and the level of brassiness. You may observe a noticeable difference after the first use, but consistent usage will yield more long-lasting results.
16. Can I use purple shampoo on dry hair?
Purple shampoo is most effective when used on wet hair. Applying it to dry hair may not distribute the product evenly and may lead to patchy toning.
17. How can I maximize the benefits of purple shampoo?
To maximize the benefits of purple shampoo, massage it into your hair and scalp thoroughly. Use your fingers to create a lather and ensure even distribution.
18. Can I use purple shampoo as a daily shampoo?
Purple shampoo is not recommended for daily use, as it may over-tone your hair and lead to a violet or gray undertone.
19. How can I prevent my hair from turning purple with purple shampoo?
To prevent your hair from turning purple, follow the recommended time and rinse your hair thoroughly after the application.
20. What should I do if I accidentally leave purple shampoo in too long and my hair turns purple?
If you accidentally over-tone your hair and it turns purple, don’t panic! Wash your hair with a regular shampoo to help fade the purple tone. It should fade with subsequent washes.
In conclusion, purple shampoo is a game-changer for maintaining blonde or gray hair and can help combat unwanted warm tones. Remember to follow the instructions, use it in moderation, and condition your hair afterward. With proper use, you can enjoy beautifully toned and vibrant hair.