The 7 Best Drugstore Face Sunscreens You Need to Try
When it comes to protecting your skin from the harmful rays of the sun, a good sunscreen is an essential part of your skincare routine. However, finding the right face sunscreen can be a daunting task, especially with so many options available in the market. To make your search easier, we have compiled a list of the seven best drugstore face sunscreens that deserve a spot in your skincare regimen.
1. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen SPF 100+
– Why is it great? Provides excellent protection with a high SPF, non-greasy formula, and works well under makeup.
– Who is it suitable for? Ideal for all skin types, including oily and acne-prone skin.
– Does it leave a white cast? No, it absorbs quickly into the skin without leaving any residue.
2. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Melt-In Sunscreen Milk SPF 60
– Why is it great? Its lightweight, fast-absorbing formula offers broad-spectrum protection and is suitable for sensitive skin.
– Who is it suitable for? Perfect for those with normal to dry skin, as it provides hydration without being heavy.
– Is it water-resistant? Yes, it is resistant to water and sweat, making it a great choice for outdoor activities.
3. CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion AM SPF 30
– Why is it great? This multitasking face sunscreen not only protects from the sun but also provides hydration and acts as a daily moisturizer.
– Who is it suitable for? Suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin.
– Can it be used under makeup? Yes, it can be used as a base for makeup application.
4. Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Face Moisturizing Sunscreen SPF 50
– Why is it great? This sunscreen not only protects from sunburn but also keeps your skin hydrated with its nourishing, non-greasy formula.
– Who is it suitable for? Ideal for those with dry or sensitive skin, as it provides added moisturization.
– Is it fragrance-free? Yes, it is fragrance-free and gentle on the skin.
5. Banana Boat Ultra Sport Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50
– Why is it great? Designed for active individuals, this sunscreen provides long-lasting protection and is resistant to sweat and water.
– Who is it suitable for? Perfect for those who engage in outdoor sports or activities.
– Does it feel sticky on the skin? No, it has a lightweight, non-greasy formula that absorbs quickly.
6. Alba Botanica Sensitive Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30
– Why is it great? Formulated with 100% mineral ingredients, this sunscreen is perfect for those with sensitivities and provides gentle, physical sun protection.
– Who is it suitable for? Well-suited for individuals with sensitive or reactive skin.
– Is it reef-safe? Yes, it is free from oxybenzone and octinoxate, making it safe for coral reefs.
7. Olay Complete All Day Moisturizer with Sunscreen SPF 30
– Why is it great? This moisturizer with sunscreen offers both hydration and sun protection while being lightweight and non-greasy.
– Who is it suitable for? Suitable for all skin types, including combination skin.
– Can it be used alone or under makeup? It works well as a standalone product or as a base for makeup.
Now that you know about the top drugstore face sunscreens, here are some common questions and answers to help you make an informed decision.
1. How often should I reapply sunscreen on my face?
– It is recommended to reapply sunscreen every two hours, especially if you are sweating or spending time outdoors.
2. Can I use body sunscreen on my face?
– While body sunscreens may provide some sun protection, they are often not formulated for the delicate skin on the face. It is best to use a sunscreen specifically designed for the face to ensure proper protection and compatibility.
3. Should I wear sunscreen indoors?
– Yes, it’s important to wear sunscreen even when indoors as UV rays can penetrate through windows. This is especially crucial if you spend a lot of time near windows or have large windows in your home or office.
4. How much sunscreen should I apply to my face?
– The general rule is to apply a nickel-sized amount of sunscreen to cover your entire face. If you use a mineral sunscreen, make sure to blend it well to avoid a white cast.
5. Can I use sunscreen under makeup?
– Yes, many sunscreens are designed to be worn under makeup. Look for sunscreens that have a lightweight, non-greasy formula that won’t interfere with your makeup application.
6. Can sunscreen cause breakouts?
– Some sunscreens, especially those with heavy formulations or comedogenic ingredients, can trigger breakouts in individuals with acne-prone skin. Opt for non-comedogenic or oil-free sunscreens if you are prone to breakouts.
7. Can I use sunscreen on sensitive skin?
– Yes, there are sunscreens specifically formulated for sensitive skin. Look for products that are labeled as gentle, fragrance-free, and dermatologist-tested for sensitive skin.
8. Are mineral sunscreens better than chemical sunscreens?
– Both mineral (physical) and chemical sunscreens offer effective sun protection. However, mineral sunscreens work by physically blocking UV rays, while chemical sunscreens absorb and convert UV rays into heat. Choose what works best for your skin type and preference.
9. Can I use sunscreen on my lips?
– You should protect your lips from the sun’s harmful rays by using a lip balm or lipstick with SPF. Lips are prone to sunburn and can be damaged by prolonged exposure.
10. Are higher SPF sunscreens better?
– While higher SPF sunscreens offer more protection, it does not mean they are significantly better than lower SPF options. SPF 30 is generally considered sufficient for daily use, but reapplication is still essential regardless of the SPF level.
11. Can I use a moisturizer with SPF instead of sunscreen?
– Although moisturizers with added SPF offer some sun protection, it is generally recommended to use a dedicated sunscreen for optimal coverage and protection.
12. Can I use expired sunscreen?
– It is best not to use expired sunscreen, as the active ingredients may become less effective, leading to insufficient protection. Always check the expiration dates and replace sunscreens as needed.
13. Can sunscreen prevent tanning?
– While a good sunscreen can help prevent sunburn, it cannot entirely prevent tanning. However, it can help minimize tanning and reduce the harmful effects of sun exposure on the skin.
14. Can sunscreen reverse sun damage?
– Sunscreen cannot reverse existing sun damage but can prevent further damage. For existing sun damage concerns, consult a dermatologist for appropriate treatment options.
15. Can I use sunscreen on my children’s faces?
– Yes, sunscreen is safe for use on children’s faces and is essential for protecting their delicate skin. Choose sunscreens specifically formulated for children and follow the instructions for proper application.
16. Can I use sunscreen if I have oily skin?
– Yes, there are sunscreens specifically designed for oily skin. Look for non-greasy, oil-free formulations labeled as suitable for oily or acne-prone skin.
17. Can I layer sunscreen with other skincare products?
– In most cases, sunscreen should be the last step of your skincare routine, applied after all other skincare products. However, always refer to the specific instructions provided by the sunscreen manufacturer.
18. Can I use sunscreen when pregnant or breastfeeding?
– Yes, sunscreen is generally safe to use during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. However, if you have specific concerns, it’s best to consult with your healthcare provider before using any skincare products.
19. Can I use sunscreen near my eyes without causing irritation?
– Look for sunscreens specifically labeled as safe for use around the eyes. Avoid applying sunscreen directly into your eyes, as it may cause irritation. Instead, apply it carefully around the eye area.
20. Can sunscreen protect against skin cancer?
– Sunscreen plays a crucial role in protecting against harmful UV rays, which are a significant contributor to skin cancer. However, it is essential to use sunscreen in combination with other sun-protective measures, such as seeking shade, wearing protective clothing, and avoiding peak sun hours.
In conclusion, finding the right face sunscreen for your needs doesn’t have to be overwhelming. With this list of the best drugstore face sunscreens along with the provided Q&A, you can confidently choose a sunscreen that suits your skin type, lifestyle, and preferences, ensuring your skin stays protected and healthy. Remember, consistent and proper application of sunscreen is key to maintaining a well-protected complexion.