The Dos and Don’ts of Purple Shampoo on Brown Hair: Expert Advice
Purple shampoo has gained immense popularity in recent years for its ability to neutralize brassiness and keep blonde hair looking fresh and vibrant. However, many people are unaware of the benefits purple shampoo can offer to those with brown hair as well. With the right guidance and understanding of how to use this product correctly, you can enhance the cool tones in your brown locks and maintain a lustrous shade. In this article, we provide expert advice on the dos and don’ts of purple shampoo on brown hair to help you achieve the best results.
Purple Shampoo Dos:
1. Determine if purple shampoo is right for you: Purple shampoo is most effective on brown hair with cool undertones or highlights. If your brown hair has red or warm undertones, purple shampoo may not be the right product for you.
2. Choose a high-quality purple shampoo: Invest in a reputable and high-quality purple shampoo to ensure desirable results. Look for a formula that has been specifically designed to enhance cool tones in brown hair.
3. Test the product on a small section: Before applying purple shampoo all over your hair, do a strand test on a small section to observe the results. This way, you can determine the product’s effects and adjust usage accordingly.
4. Follow the instructions: Each purple shampoo may have its own instructions for usage. It is essential to follow these instructions carefully to achieve optimal results without damaging your hair.
5. Use purple shampoo once or twice a week: Overusing purple shampoo can lead to an unwanted color shift toward ashiness or even a dull, ashy brown. Limit your usage to once or twice a week, or as recommended by the manufacturer.
6. Apply purple shampoo evenly: Ensure that the purple shampoo is applied evenly through your hair. Focus on areas that tend to show more brassiness, such as the ends or around the face.
7. Leave purple shampoo on for the recommended time: Purple shampoo needs time to work its magic, but leaving it on for too long can result in purple or gray tones. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendation regarding the ideal amount of time to leave it on.
8. Use cool or lukewarm water to rinse: After leaving the purple shampoo for the recommended time, rinse your hair with cool or lukewarm water. Avoid hot water as it can open the hair cuticle and cause color fading.
9. Follow up with a moisturizing conditioner: Purple shampoo can be drying, so make sure to use a moisturizing conditioner afterward to keep your hair hydrated and healthy.
Purple Shampoo Don’ts:
1. Don’t use purple shampoo on red or warm-toned brown hair: Purple shampoo is designed to neutralize yellow and orange tones, so using it on red or warm tones can result in an undesired muddy color.
2. Don’t leave purple shampoo on for too long: Leaving purple shampoo on for an extended period can lead to purple or gray tones in brown hair. Always follow the recommended time on the product packaging.
3. Don’t use purple shampoo every day: Overusing purple shampoo can result in a dull, ashy appearance. Stick to using it once or twice a week to maintain the perfect balance of cool tones.
4. Don’t forget to protect your hands: Purple shampoo can temporarily stain your hands, so it’s advisable to wear gloves while applying the product.
5. Don’t expect instant miracles: While purple shampoo can be highly effective, it may take several washes before you notice significant changes in tone. Patience and regular usage are key.
20 Questions and Answers:
1. Can purple shampoo be used on brown hair?
Yes, purple shampoo can be used on brown hair with cool undertones or highlights to eliminate brassiness and enhance cool tones.
2. How often should I use purple shampoo on brown hair?
It is recommended to use purple shampoo once or twice a week, or as instructed by the manufacturer.
3. Can purple shampoo turn brown hair purple?
Leaving purple shampoo on for too long can result in purple or gray tones, especially if used excessively or on lightened parts of the hair.
4. Can I mix purple shampoo with regular shampoo?
While it is generally not harmful to mix purple shampoo with regular shampoo, it might dilute the purple pigments, reducing its effectiveness.
5. Is it necessary to apply purple shampoo to the entire head?
Focus on areas that tend to show more brassiness, such as the ends or around the face. However, you can apply it all over for an even result.
6. Can purple shampoo damage brown hair?
Purple shampoo, when used according to instructions, is not known to cause damage to brown hair. However, it can be drying, so follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
7. Should I use purple shampoo on wet or dry hair?
Purple shampoo is typically used on wet hair to ensure even distribution. However, there are some formulations that can be used on dry hair.
8. Are there any alternatives to purple shampoo for brown hair?
Color-depositing conditioners or toners specifically formulated for brown hair with cool undertones can be used as an alternative to purple shampoo.
9. Can men use purple shampoo on brown hair?
Yes, purple shampoo can be used on brown hair irrespective of gender, as long as it has cool undertones.
10. Will purple shampoo lighten my brown hair?
No, purple shampoo does not have any lightening properties. Its purpose is to neutralize brassiness, enhance cool tones, and maintain the color you already have.
11. Can I leave purple shampoo on overnight?
Leaving purple shampoo for an extended period, such as overnight, can result in purple or gray tones. Follow the recommended time on the product packaging.
12. Can I use purple shampoo after coloring my brown hair?
Yes, using purple shampoo after coloring your brown hair can help maintain the desired cool tones and prevent brassiness.
13. Can purple shampoo be used on natural brown hair?
Yes, purple shampoo can be used on natural brown hair to enhance cool tones and reduce brassiness, especially if it has cool undertones or highlights.
14. Is it advisable to use purple shampoo with warm or red-toned brown hair?
Purple shampoo is designed to neutralize yellow and orange tones, so using it on warm or red-toned brown hair may result in muddy colors. It is not recommended.
15. Can I use purple shampoo on brown hair if I have highlights?
Yes, purple shampoo can be used on brown hair with highlights to eliminate brassiness, leaving a more uniform and cool-toned appearance.
16. Can purple shampoo help with gray hair?
Purple shampoo is primarily designed to neutralize brassiness in blonde or brown hair. While it may help reduce any yellow tones in gray hair, it might not provide significant results.
17. Can purple shampoo be used on brown hair extensions?
Yes, purple shampoo can be used on brown hair extensions, as long as they are made with natural human hair and have cool undertones or highlights.
18. Should I follow up with a conditioner after using purple shampoo?
Yes, it is recommended to use a moisturizing conditioner after using purple shampoo to keep your hair hydrated and healthy.
19. Will purple shampoo make my brown hair shiny?
Purple shampoo can help eliminate brassiness, which can often make hair appear dull. By enhancing cool tones, purple shampoo can contribute to a shinier overall look.
20. How long does it take to see results when using purple shampoo on brown hair?
Results can vary depending on the hair’s initial condition and porosity. Regular use of purple shampoo can lead to noticeable changes within a few washes, but it may take several weeks to achieve the desired outcome.